Posted: January 11, 2012 | |
Jimi Hendrix was listening to classical music to play blues music.
It used to inspire him to change the whole guitar and music universe through wah-wah and distortion effects and trough a from-outer-space never equaled songwriting.
That puts the light on the fact that, inspiration, is an indirect process.
A great cooker chief will see a movie or a photograph in January, and this will make him create a wonderful but simple recipe in June. Perhaps will he think about this last pinch of salt he should add to a meal to make it magic.
A musician will hardly debate about politics, and a great song will pop up from his brain cells, 2 months later at 3 in the morning. Perhaps will he only find a new guitar riff or a 2 notes chord to make his piece of music go from a song to an anthem.
That’s how inspiration goes.
It is linked to 100% to instinct and to an impredictable moment or fact you haven’t seen coming or that you aren’t even conscious you had memorized it.
It happens all of a sudden, just from behind your shoulder, sneaking in to your brain. Inspiration is just a bunch of informations your brain hoarded in his cells long before.
Moreover, inspiration is about having our mind oriented to the universe, absorbing feelings and energy from wherever it comes and throwing it out, all mixed-up, in a composed and different shape.
Whatever you try to create, music can be the trigger that will reveal what your brain is ready to give, to create and envision.
As an author, music helps me a lot to produce words, sentences and chapters.
Getting myself voluntarily locked in a musical bubble helps me to get out away from me and give the best of myself. Nevertheless, music I listen when writing my books isn’t just about notes. It’s about throwing my mind away, separating it from my body and freeing myself.
Actually, for the books I want to write, the writing process is a concrete commitment I have to get in. And the musical bubble I create helps me to find it.
For these reasons, I have an always-ready-to-play playlist, made of the same songs, that grows sometimes and that helps me to get where I want me to mentally be.
The playlist remains hardly the same because, each song has something in it that moves me and that pushes my inspiration from dark waters to sunny air. This playlist is emotional. It must hold a rock spirit even when it is an electronic music song. It has to be strong, passionate. It must talk about love, fight, struggle, fate and destiny.
The idea, is to feel like in a hurry to write.
It’s like a little trance in which every word is a fight. Every letter is a strike given following the beat of the song.
And, if you haven’t get it yet, as I write this post, I’m listening to this playlist.
I put myself in this music bubble on purpose because, it always reminds me of something about my life or my relatives in order to stand upon an emotional personal issue i’m moved by.
And, because I mentally get to some very personal sides of my life, I can talk about more universal ones and find the good words to write my chapter.
As paradoxical as it cans seems, these songs aren’t not only rock-guitarists-oriented and are not the songs I use to listen or play as a musician.
Whatever they are, inspiration always comes from a mood, a sentence, a word, an idea, a riff, a hush or a sigh sometimes.
If they had existed when he was alive, because of his oriented-to-the-universe-open-mind and his ability to absorb feelings and energy, I think that Jimi Hendrix would have let him be inspired by modern things like Bob Sinclar or Rob Dugan’s electronic music.
I think he could have loved mangas or comics like Dragon Ball Z, matrix movies and so forth.
I think that everyone has his own playlist to go through life odds or to simply improve it day after day.
So, as I want you to be part of my journey, here are a few songs of my playlist with all the details (lyrics, mood …) that help me to write my thoughts down.
So, be my guest and read this post, again and again, each time listening to one of this song and you’ll be able to get my point.
By the way, tell me what’s the emotional and personal playlist that helps you to improve your life day after day.
I’m waiting for it on my social networks
The 35nextyears emotional and personal playlist
Chateau - Rob DUGAN (MATRIX Reloaded Soundtrack)
- A neverending fight every kung-fu addict would like to live once in his life.
The reason - HOOBASTANK
- I’m sorry that I hurt you, It’s something I must live with everyday, And all the pain I put you through, I wish that I could take it all away, And be the one who catches all your tears, Thats why i need you to hear, I’ve found a reason for me, To change who I used to be, A reason to start over new, and the reason is You
Santa Fe – Jon BON JOVI
- They try to tell me, it’s too late for me. Tell my guns I’m comin’ home. I swear, I’m gonna live forever. Tell my maker he can wait.
One love – David Guetta feat. Estelle
- Can Anybody Help Me I’m Outta Plans, Guess I Left My World In Somebodys Hands, I Don’t Like To Hurt But, But Everyone Gets Weak, Someone To Rely On, That’s What I Really Need
- Now Here We Stay, It’s All That Were Worth, I’ve Been Thru The Pain And Been Dragged Thru The Dirt, Whatever They Tell You Were Bigger Than Words, I’ve Been Where Your Standing I Know How It Hurts, Let This Be A Song Now And This Be A Day, And We Stand Together That Will Be Okay, Because Were Survivors Were Making It Work, Expecting The Best When They Hope For The Worst
Dying ain’t much of a living – Jon BON JOVI (Young Guns 2 soundtrack)
- Is it too late to ask for forgiveness, For the things that I have done. And I hope someone will pray for me, When it’s my turn to die… pray for me
Shape of My heart – STING (Leon soundtrack)
- He deals the cards to find the answer. The sacred geometry of chance. The hidden law of probable outcome. The numbers lead a dance. I know that the spades are the swords of a soldier. I know that the clubs are weapons of war. I know that diamonds mean money for this art. But that’s not the shape of my heart.
- I’m not a man of too many faces. The mask I wear is one.
Just a man - I’m sorry
- Im sorry, If I made you cry, If I said a lie. I’m just a man. Please give me your hand.
Ask the lonely – JOURNEY
- Think what you’ve had, remember, Hang on, don’t you let go now, You know, with every heartbeat, we love, Nothing comes easy, Hang on, ask the lonely
Separate ways – JOURNEY
- The guitar and the Intro. Oh, my. I lift up !
Heavy cross – The GOSSIP (Fred FALKE REMIX)
- It’s a cruel cruel world, to face on your own, A heavy cross, to carry alone, The lights are on, but everyone’s gone,
And it’s cruel, We can play it safe, or play it cool, follow the leader, or make up all the rules, whatever you want, the choice is yours, so choose, I trust you, if it’s already been done, undo it, It takes two, it’s up to me and you, to prove it,
World, Hold On – Bob SINCLAR
- The whole mood of it makes me high …
Sober - PINK
- I’m safe up high, nothing can touch me. But why do I feel this party’s over? No pain inside, you’re my protection. But how do I feel this good sober?
Ave Mary A -PINK
- If the darkest hour comes, Before the light , Where is the light , Where is the light , Where is the light, yeah Ave Mary A , Where did you go , How did you know to get out of a world gone mad , Help me let go , Of the chaos around me , The devil that hounds me , I need you to tell me